Monday, August 28, 2017

Travels, part 2

We headed up to Idaho on Sunday to spend time with my family. We also headed up Sunday night specifically so we could avoid eclipse traffic, since our family's cabin is just on the outer edge of the path of totality.

We headed down to Ashton on Monday morning so we could see the eclipse. We ended up waiting around for a couple of hours, but once it got started, it was, well, otherworldly. It took Edie a couple of tries to figure out how to use the eclipse glasses, but once she got the hang of it, and what she was looking for, that's all she wanted to do.



She kept looking up and saying, "Look, the moon!" At first, I was very impressed that she realized the moon was casting a shadow on the earth, but once I figured out that she was describing the crescent shape of the sun, it, well, it was still pretty neat.

We had a pleasant week, for the most part. Marty liked to walk around and put everything he saw in his mouth.


That, for the most part, did not include my dad, but I think Marty may have chewed on his fingers or toes at some point. As a natural result of chewing on everything in creation, though, he got to take about a million baths in the cabin sink.


Edie wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about putting things in her mouth, taking baths in the sink, or interacting with other humans in any meaningful way, but we got her to relax and play with my family after a while. My mom brought some jigsaw puzzles and Play-Doh, which seemed to be the key to getting her to like you. My parents and sister spent a lot of time working this angle over the course of the week.


Frequent visitors to this blog and terrifying stalkers alike will know that Edie loves to help cook, and my parents were only too happy to oblige. My mom kept asking Edie to help choose eggs for cooking, and my dad let Edie help him make us some cookies.


We also got to see some cousins while we were in the area, which Edie hated and then loved once she got used to everyone. Marty, on the other hand, just giggled and squealed his way through everything.



We had a really great time until Wednesday, when Marty started throwing up a bunch. Edie did the same the next day, followed by my mom, my dad, me, Tamsen, Jay, and Matt. For those keeping score, that's eight of the nine people living at the cabin this week that came down with severe gastric distress. The only one who didn't get sick was my sister, and the rest of us agreed that we all hate her.

If nothing else, we had a fun and certainly memorable week.

No comments:

Post a Comment