Sunday, May 6, 2018

Sing it with me: All by myself, don't wanna be, all by myself, anymore...

Sam is out of town for his brother's graduation, so it's up to me to report on the doings of our kids this week. Faced with four days of solo parenting I was prepared to enter power-saver parenting mode, you know, where you let your kids do and eat and destroy whatever they want because it would take too much energy to consistently parent them? Then I was reminded that we had library books due on Saturday. And I couldn't just drive up, drop them off, and drive away, because Edie has certain expectations for Library Saturdays, all because Sam is a "good parent."

So I took both the kids to the library.

Marty found a giant stuffed dog to play with, as well as a book of Peppa Pig stories. He's a boy of few words (gum, mama, dada, done) but he knows who Peppa is and will point to the TV and say "Peppa!" quite clearly. So this book was quite a get, or so I thought until I realized I would have to read all the stories in a British accent. (My accent started out pretty good, then I slowly drifted into a Cary Grant impersonation that was hard to recover from.)



Edie picked out a few books, then found an iPad with Sesame Street games on it, and after that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get her to leave. 



Marty this week:
1. Has enjoyed eating watermelon and pizza rolls
2. Has decided he doesn't want to hold my hand when walking to the car
3. Has been peeing through everything. So much laundry, so so much.
4. Has been dressing up. Every time I turn around he's wearing somebody else's shoes, or a silly hat.






Edie this week:
1. Has become very competitive about eating. I blame her "dinner winner" treasure map plate. She doesn't like it if I finish my meal before her. She'll look at my empty plate and tell me "You're not a winner! You are second!" I tell her it's not a contest*, but she disagrees.
2. Has been Teacher's Helper at school. She's coming out of her shell a bit, and apparently has a knack for telling the other kids what they're supposed to be doing.
3. Has been wearing her ducky boots rain or shine. Mostly because if they're not on her feet, Marty's got his grubby hands on them.
4. Has been getting ready for bed as quickly as possible so she can have two stories instead of one. She especially likes to make sure that she and Marty are wearing matching pajamas.




Last but not least, please enjoy my April video roundup:



*Seriously, I could eat this kid under the table**, no contest.
**But I won't, because the floor is sticky under there.

No comments:

Post a Comment